It is desired that the designer shall make every attempt to select materials with recycled content, salvaged material or rapidly renewable material that reduces the environmental impacts associated with extracting, harvesting and manufacturing virgin materials. In addition, indoor environmental quality will be protected by the purchase of low VOC materials and products.
Items such as non-affixed furniture, equipment, fixtures, mechanical, electrical, plumbing components and specialty items are excluded from this policy. However, millwork is included.
It is requested that the Architect and General Contractor strive to achieve sustainable purchases of 50% of the total purchases (by cost) for facility alterations and additions must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Contains at least 10% post-consumer and/or 20% postindustrial material.
- Contains at least 70% material salvaged from off-site or outside the organization
- Contains at least 70% material salvaged from on-site through an internal organization materials and equipment reuse program.
- Contains at least 50% rapidly renewable materials.
- Contains at least 50% Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified wood.
- Contains at least 50% materials harvested and processed or extracted and processed within 500 miles of the project.
- Adhesives and sealants have VOC content less than the current VOC content limits of South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) Rule #1168 or sealants used as fillers that meet or exceed the requirements of the Bay Area Air Quality Management District Regulation 8, Rule 51.
- Paints and coatings have VOC emissions that do not exceed the VOC and chemical component limits of Green Seal’s Standard GS-11 requirements.
- Non-carpet finished flooring is Floor Score-certified and constitutes a minimum of 25% of the finished floor area.
- Carpet meets the requirements of the CRI Green Label Plus Carpet Testing Program.
- Carpet cushion meets the requirements of the CRI Green Label Testing Program.
- Composite panels and agrifiber products contain no added urea-formaldehyde resins.